Leading TAQA’s drive to develop alternative and technology-driven energy initiatives
The goals of our Energy Solutions business align closely with the Abu Dhabi Economic Vision 2030 (see Economic Vision). This roadmap for transforming the Emirate’s economy clearly identifies the ambition for Abu Dhabi to be the pre-eminent source of renewable energy knowledge, development and implementation and the world’s benchmark for sustainable development. In line with this ambition, Energy Solutions aims to develop innovative technologies and build a platform for future young energy leaders to create a sustainable economy.
This business area has global responsibility for developing alternative and advanced technology solutions for energy production and generation. We aim to introduce new technical concepts to our work, enabling us to realise alternative energy projects and to improve operations and working practices.
Energy Solutions, led by Dr Saif Al Sayari, will invest in alternative energy generation projects such as wind, solar, geothermal, waste-to-energy and hydropower, as well as unconventional fossil-fuel projects such as shale gas and using CO2 for enhanced oil and gas recovery. In 2012, Dr Al Sayari and his team conducted a feasibility study to create energy from waste in Abu Dhabi, helping to reduce the Emirate’s burgeoning landfill problem and meet its growing electricity needs.
We have the following goals:
- To establish TAQA as a technology-driven organisation, where technology is used as an enabler for business growth
- To align operations and project delivery across all operating assets of TAQA to foster safe and efficient operations
- To diversify the business portfolio in alternative energy projects while maintaining a positive return on investment for all such projects
TAQA Energy Solutions will comprise the following three areas:
1. A Centre of Excellence
Technical and operation experts in different disciplines of the energy industry will provide advice to all of TAQA’s operating assets, ensuring compliance with corporate procedures and best practice in terms of safe, reliable and efficient operations. The centre will also provide technical assurance and advice to the Board on major TAQA investments.
It will champion knowledge transfer across the group, as well as issue and maintain operating practices, project policies and procedures for TAQA.
An important task for the centre is to establish a Technology Unit in Abu Dhabi across a number of niche energy fields. Finally, the centre will train UAE national graduates, sponsor research and development in national academic institutions, host international technical conferences and start patent activity for TAQA.
2. Alternative Energy
The aim of Energy Solutions is to apply advanced technologies so that TAQA can access new energy resources, and improve recovery and energy efficiency. Alternative energy teams will work collaboratively to achieve the following:
- Assess novel concepts and best available technologies that enable access to non-conventional energy resources such as: oil shale, sour gas, gas conversion process or that increase recovery of existing assets through advanced Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) techniques, horizontal drilling, etc.
- Improve energy efficiency of power and water operations through advanced energy efficiency schemes, introducing best operating practices and smarter production techniques.
- Develop new technologies and seek to implement feasible renewable energy projects. TAQA is currently pursuing a number of green initiatives, and will coordinate these initiatives through one global team who will own and lead incubation, development and implementation.
- Incubate technologies, develop new concepts and implement solutions rather than operate assets on a long-term basis.
3. Project Delivery & Operations
Energy Solutions will have dedicated project delivery teams to ensure the execution of alternative energy initiatives as well as provide support to operating assets if required.
This group will take control of commercially and technically feasible projects through their life cycle, from conception to delivering a running unit. Project Delivery & Operations will also have operating capabilities to run demonstration plants. The team will also manage long-term operation schemes for assets in new locations for TAQA.
Project Delivery will work closely with the other groups to ensure projects are implemented on time and on budget.